A By-election is scheduled for February 26, 2024 to fill one vacant councillor position.
List of Candidates
(As of November 22, no nominations have been received. This list will be updated each Friday as nominations are received.)
WHEN AND WHERE TO VOTE
The voting station will be in the Subway Room at the Rocky Regional Recreation Centre located at 5332 – 50 Street in Rocky Mountain House.
[Advanced vote] Thursday, February 8, 2024, from 4:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
[Advanced vote] Saturday, February 24, 2024, from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
[Election Day] Monday, February 26, 2024, from 10:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
WHO CAN VOTE
To be eligible to vote in the February 26 By-election, you must:
- Be at least 18 years old as of February 26, 2024;
- Be a Canadian Citizen;
- Be a resident of the Town of Rocky Mountain House on Election Day (February 26, 2024); and
- Provide authorized voter identification.
VOTER IDENTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
Come prepared! Proof of identity and current residence is required to be able to vote in municipal elections.
The Local Authorities Election Act allows for vouching. A voter who has shown valid identification may vouch for a voter who does not have identification if:
- The person vouching signs a statement/form that they know the person and that the person resides at the address indicated on the statement; and
- Both voters meet the eligibility requirements to vote.
A voter who has relied on vouching to validate their identity and address cannot vouch for someone else.
NOMINATION OF CANDIDATES
Individuals who are interested in running for councillor should download the Town of Rocky Mountain House Handbook for Candidates to start learning about the process.
The Local Authorities Election Act (LAEA) governs elections for Alberta’s local jurisdictions, including the Town of Rocky Mountain House. All candidates should check the LAEA for complete details on the nomination process.
All candidates must provide Form 4 Nomination Paper and Candidate’s Acceptance completed in full, to the Town of Rocky Mountain House.
The nomination period is between November 22, 2023 and January 29, 2024 at noon.
Members of the public may request to inspect nomination papers by visiting the Town Office or contacting the Returning Officer.
- Wednesday, November 22, 2023: First day to file nomination papers.
- Monday, January 29, 2024: Last day to file nomination papers. Deadline is 12 p.m. (noon).
- Tuesday, January 30, 2024: 12 p.m. (noon) deadline for candidates to withdraw nominations (restrictions apply).
- Thursday, February 8, 2024: Advanced Voting.
- Saturday, February 24, 2024: Advanced Voting
- Monday, February 26, 2024: Election Day.
- Friday, March 1, 2024: Official Election Results.
For more information please contact the Town’s Returning Officer:
403-845-2866 ext. 288
This page was updated on November 21, 2023